- 1/2 pound large shrimp
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons high temp oil (peanut)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crumbled dried red chili
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 pound spinach
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Place the shrimp in a large colander and rinse with water. Sprinkle generously with salt and toss together for about a minute. Rinse with water and repeat. After rinsing one more time, drain. Pat dry with more paper towels.
- Combine 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste) and the sugar in a small bowl and place close to your wok.
- Heat wok over high heat. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil then add the ginger and chili flakes and stir-fry for about 10 seconds. Push to the sides of the pan and add the shrimp in one layer. Let cook undisturbed for 1 minute, then add the remaining oil and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the sesame seeds and spinach and stir-fry for 1 minute, until it has begun to wilt. Add the salt and sugar, sprinkling it evenly over the spinach, and continue to stir-fry until the spinach has wilted but is still bright and the shrimp are cooked through and bright pink. Remove from the heat, drizzle on the sesame oil, toss together and serve, with rice, noodles or other grains.