1 pound sea scallops (Trader Joes)
3 medium fresh tomatoes, minced into 1/4″ pieces
4 slices bacon or pancetta, diced fine (4 oz at Trader Joes) (been using onion instead)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound angel-hair pasta
1. Boil water for pasta. When it begins to boil, add salt and oil, then turn down and start the sauce.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon or pancetta to render out some of the drippings. Add garlic and stir to brown. Add scallops, cooking quickly to avoid browning but to cook thoroughly (I browned – like it that way)
3. When the scallops look nearly done, turn the water back up to a boil, then put the tomatoes into the skillet at the same time you put the pasta into the water.
4. *lightly* oil the pasta with a good extra-virgin olive oil (this will help keep the pasta from clumping while you eat it).
5. Toss the fresh thyme into the skillet and stir through before removing it from the heat.
6. Toss the pasta with the sauce and serve with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.